Monday, August 6, 2012

August 6, 2012

OPA!!!

Another good week!!! haha (they are all good)

The new focus we got last week in the meeting is on families!!! The president told us we are not in a rush to baptize and that we should only baptize after the people we are teaching are truly converted... IT IS TOTALY DIFFERENT THEN WHAT PRESIDENT DIAS HAD US DOING!!! With him it was baptize every week we were in a rush to baptize. haha but the only thing is that now we need to completely change the way we work and the whole mission is feeling the strain of changing... its going to take a while but it is also completely possible, now our goal is to baptize one family per month before it was a baptism one a week.

I returned safely form my 18 hour car ride took some photos(see attached) just a lot of open land at some points it reminded me of the good old middle of the U.S. of A. then other times we would pass though towns where there was not a single brick in the whole neighborhood...

A little bit more about this area; the whole zone is in this one city which has one branch... there are 6 missionaries for one branch (yes this zone is actually smaller then my last district haha) and we all live in one house so I dont have to travel to visit the missionaries in this zone. The population of the city is 150,000. This week we had 75 people in church!!!  The missionaries have been here working for 10 months so its brand new and no one has seen missionaries before... its basically paradise!! haha The church is small but the members are super awesome and willing to work we just get to help them :)

I will only travel that 18 hour ride for the monthly leadership meetings but other than that Im here in the middle of the jungle with just 6 missionaries and go to work... our goal is to divide the branch by the end of the year, we just wrote the plan to make that happen... its going to be sick.

We went to the mall here today.... it made me miss Tysons Corner... haha Elder Yorgason said "I at least thought the mall would have shops." haha made me laugh.

I havent seen the Olympics... but someone did tell me the other day that I looked like Michael Phelps, Yeah I still got it. haha.

Last night we had a training for the Branch and it was the best attended training I have done here, there were 40 people there... I was shocked! Also at sacrament we had 72 people... thats as many people as my last ward had my last week there (that ward has 500+ members) so its really good here.

Oh so that picture of the elevator is crazy... it was Sunday and we were going to go to lunch, when all of a sudden we hear this big BANG!!!............. CRASH!!!................ AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was like what the fart!?!?! We ran over to see this lady on the ground hollering and hooting, her husband had sunk though the wheelchair. The elevator cable had broken (Moms worst nightmare) and they had fallen a whole floor to the ground!!!!!  The ambulance came and we got the man to sit in a regular chair, turns out the woman broke her ankle and the man was fine, just ripped his wheelchair... haha just another day here in Brazil.

Well love you all!!!!!!!!!!




Death trap

















Only caption I was thinking of is the one with me in the field saying "the feild is white and ready to harvest"... yeah that will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment